Monday, March 31, 2008

New Skier Gets Schooled by 5 Year Olds with Snowballs

I don't know what I expected when I decided to learn how to ski a month or so ago, but I guess I thought I'd pick it up faster. It's not that I can't ski. I can. I just happen to think about all of those terrible things that could happen to you when you're skiing like skiing into a tree, getting run over by another snowboarder or skier who's speeding through the slow zone, that you can't stop, or something else equally bad.

Ok, so like every other sport it's a mental game. Skiing gets really fun when I can convince myself that the slopes in front of me really aren't that steep and that I can just blast down them and turn a bit to slow down. It's just that sometimes that slope looks a bit to scary and the people are whizzing by just too fast.

Getting schooled by small children on the slopes is something that I've come to accept since I saw a bunch of 8-10 year olds bomb down the green that I was wishing I could inch down on my first try. But this ski trip had perhaps the funniest memory of how badly they can still school me. A ski school class of 4-6 year olds stopped in the same area that I was resting in and their ski instructor started to give them feedback, "you know, guys, you'd fall over a lot less if you would stop spending so much time trying to pick up snowballs to throw at each other while skiing." At that exact moment, about 5 of the 12 kids were bending down to grab more snow to throw at the rest of them that already had snow in their gloves.

All in all it was a great weekend, but perhaps next time I need to be more focused on throwing snowballs at people while skiing instead of the possibility of skiing into a tree.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks again for a great weekend!

JulyDream said...

The kids have an edge on us "adults" ... it's called no fear! They can fall, twist themselves into a pretzel, plow into inanimate objects and simply bounce back. Minimal injury for what would put most of us in a hospital. Sucks getting old. ;)