Saturday, March 15, 2008

Throw It Back

Probably one of my favorite quotes is the following from Maya Angelou -

"
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back."

This tends to be something that I forget as I am one of those people pleaser people. I spend my days making sure things get done for people at work on their schedule, taking care of friends who are in need and trying to help others get ahead. I'm not trying to pretend that I'm such a good person, but I will say that it does result in me often doing things for others when I really needed to spend an afternoon doing something for me. It is sometimes easier for me to take something and do it myself then it is to refuse, or throw it back. Yes, I know this isn't a healthy long term life strategy, but one that I'm wrestling with at the moment. Hence, the importance of this quote.

Throw it back. It's so rewarding to put yourself before the rest of the mess that is life because no one's looking out for you except you. There's such a sense of empowerment that comes from saying no to something. It's taking control of your life instead of just letting life happen to you. That's one of my goals for this year. I am going to make a conscious effort to get what I want in life and shape my own future.

With that, I'm off to shape my future with a productive day of GMAT studying and catching up on the things that I need to do for me in life.

Remember to throw it back occasionally and that a catcher only wears one mitt. You wouldn't want life to hit you in the balls, would you?

No comments: