Saturday, January 31, 2009

Apple Crumble Bars

Mariquita Farms had a special add-on of 10 lbs of apples to the mystery box this past week. I decided that I should try these apples because everything that I've had from Mariquita has been amazing. Also, I had been holding onto a recipe for Apple Crumble Bars that just sounded basic and tasty, so I thought it would be the perfect excuse to try this recipe with these apples that had to be fantastic.

It was absolutely fantastic!! I really like a good light apple pie, but I also like a bit of a shorter crust. This recipe was the best of both worlds!! The bottom crust was short like a really good shortbread cookie. The middle is the apple pie filling which tasted absolutely great. I substituted the nutmeg in the recipe for additional cinnamon. The crumbly top was really tasty as well, a bit like the top of a dutch apple pie without the cinnamon. The next time, I make this recipe, I think I'll add some additional cinnamon to the crumbly top part and see if that makes it a bit more like a dutch apple pie.

All in all, this is one of my favorite desserts lately. It was so tasty and really brought out all of the flavors that one would find in a mini apple pie. Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of these tasty treats before the Dessert Night crew gobbled them up. If you'd like to make your own Apple Crumble Bars, go here for the recipe.

1 comment:

tonyleachsf said...

Mmmm man those were so good...