Monday, March 9, 2009

Vanilla Buttermilk Panna Cotta

I have always enjoyed panna cotta more than I've enjoyed flan or creme brule combined. I don't know if it's because the gelatin in the panna cotta makes it less creamy or if it's just the lack of the eggs that make it less than custardy. Nonetheless, panna cotta is one of my favorites. Chocolate Panna Cotta was the dessert that lauched dessert night over a year ago and we haven't had one since so I thought it was about time for another one.

Now that I'm done with grad school stuff for the moment, well more that it's just slowed down considerably, I've been embarking on some new baking projects for things I've never tried to make before like marshmellows and this weekend's project of brioche. Joe Pastry is a great blog for those of you trying a new slightly complex recipe because Joe Pastry takes photos of each step so you know what it is supposed to look like. Not only that, but he's very prompt in emailing back if you contact him with a question. Joe Pastry recently did a panna cotta series and one of the recipes that he shared was this Vanilla Buttermilk Panna Cotta.

This recipe was super easy as all panna cotta recipes are. There is not a lot of gelatin in the recipe so it is not one where you would serve the panna cotta turned out on a plate, but it's very tasty! It was a bit sweet, so I decided to put pureed blackberries on the top to add a little bit of tartness to the overall experience. The result was great! These were really tasty and the blackberry added a great flavor.

If you'd like to make your own Vanilla Buttermilk Panna Cotta, check out the recipe here.

1 comment:

Intelligence said...

Mmm looks very tasty!!! I might give that a try!